13-year-old dies of takeaway allergy

The father of a schoolgirl who suffered a severe allergic reaction after eating a curry has told of the heartbreaking moment he realised she was going to die. 


Molly Dyer, 13, of Whitefield, Bury, Greater Manchester, went into acute anaphylaxis and suffered a severe asthma attack after eating a chicken tikka masala, an inquest heard. 


Friends had ordered the curry from the Shabaz Takeaway in Whitefield while Molly and her mother Meryl Matthews were at a party. 


The inquest heard how the teenager had eaten tikka masala twice in the previous week, while on holiday with her father Paul. 


But when she started to eat the curry, Molly complained of having tingly lips and feeling wheezy. 


Her mother, a theatre nurse, dialled 999 and she was rushed to Fairfield Hospital where doctors battled to save her for four hours in September last year. 


Molly, who was asthmatic, had been diagnosed with a peanut allergy when she was three. 


Mr Dyer said: 'She touched everyone.


Pathologist Dr Stefanie Bitetti said she considered the cause of death to be acute anaphylaxis and acute asthmatic attack. 


Coroner Simon Nelson recorded a narrative verdict. 


He said: 'Molly died following a severe anaphylactic reaction triggered by her pre-existing peanut allergy to which an acute asthma attack was a contributory 

factor.'

Bookmark and Share


















Allergy Aware 2009 - 2012 | Privacy Policy Click to Verify | Trusted Business

Mobile Privacy Certification | We Use CookiesCloudTrust | Allergy Aware | Terms and Conditions Certification | Corporate Data Certification | Privacy CertificationGreen Company

Part of the International Charter